Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Feeds and weeds

I feel like a gardener who has just thrown a few seeds over a patch. I am vaguely aware of the nature of the seeds I have just sown - RSS - but I do not know what to expect.

With intelligent encouragement from my colleagues, I have asked to be fed.
I pressed the buttons for feed reader and asked for items once a day - Annoyed L and news once a week from Infodoodads. Both are cribs off Dana.

I shall await my feeds and may be I shall get as enthusiastic about the RSS achievement as I am about all the other tasks. I have mentioned before how I am concerned (just a tiny bit) at my lack of knowledge about the technical side of my button pressing. The instructions to try new wizardry are brilliantly simple, well so far, and except for RSS which I had to try several times. But, if I am bombarded somewhere with results/weeds from my feeds that I do not want, I shall just pull them up at the press of a button: simple gardening and no fear of overgrown patches.

I have begun to do a bit more with my LibraryThing. I have started to take a peek at some of the reviews of the books in my library. I have got over my annoyance at the way the user has to re enter data constantly to include 20 or more books by an author, in my case John Le Carre, and the fact that the cataloguing of my authors puts John Le Carre under C and De Bernieres under B. I think I shall be very interested in reviews of books that I have read which are not particularly well known, such as "When she was good" by Philip Roth. This lets me see, in a way, a mirror of myself. I think this may be an internet (psychological) phenomenon which is well known to internet virtuosos.

1 comment:

Dana said...

I hope that your feed reader brings interesting things to you. You can also add all the 23 Things blogs that you are reading to make your life simpler if you like... I read them all in a feed reader.

The point of this comment is not to offer more encouragement, however, but to compliment your writing; I really love the whimsical style of this post!