Monday, July 7, 2008

Kartoo: That was a bit scary

I thought I would give kartoo a bit of a challenge. I wondered if a photo on my flickr account of two sheep dogs in Dunkeld Victoria would be picked up. I put in Slim and Dusty + sheepdogs + flickr + Victoria and got waaay more than I bargained for. Parents should beware if their children find this search engine.

Here are some of the sites that came up:

• G'day,to all Country Music singers and songwriters. I have two programs that go to air at EMFM 104.7 the only local Community Radio in Echuca

• Nanotechnology world

• safari-magazine.ru

• A blog with many items including this :Writers, though - we’ve got the weekend song tomorrow with the latest volley in the fusilade of tunes I routinely fire off to scare of the crows, and I’ll close with Mark Twain, who called music: “that magician of magicians; who lifts his wand and says his mysterious word and all things pass away and the phantoms of your mind walk before you clothed in flesh.”

• And this – one of my favourites - Rodrigo Y Gabriela on YouTube

• A Greek site about something Greek with a You Tube entry for several men speaking Greek

• The Crusade of Varna

But I also was given a site which was for **** for **** for ****absolutely unmentionable/printable words. Oh dear me.

How could Kartoo have brought this up for Slim and Dusty and sheep dogs and Victoria and Flickr? I dared not look at the site. And why throw up the others? I can see the point of the Country & W site but - nanotechnology? A Spanish guitar duo? The crusade of Varna?*


I tried again with Sara Jervis + Slim etc and voila – up it came.

But that was scary and I became afraid to open sites as they may be obscene or tracked by the CIA.

I think I shall stick with google


*The Crusade of Varna was a string of events in 1443–44 between the Kingdom of Hungary, the Serbian Despotate, and the Ottoman Empire. It culminated in a devastating Hungarian loss at the Battle of Varna on November 10, 1444.
Wikipedia

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello,
Kartoo is a metasearch engine, results are taken from Google and Yahoo and then the engine selects the results to display in the map according to the relevance of the keywords and the query. Now there is a new interface which could ease understanding how it works, don't hesitate to contact us if you have questions. Regards, Kartoo Team (www.kartoo.net)