Thursday, July 3, 2008

I am elated: new knowledge – Semantic web; mentor – Tom; helper – Dragan

Human thinks and works collaboratively and uses technology: concept for Semantic web

I listened to Tom then paused to search the example about the Seoul Olympics and the weather in Melbourne on the opening day.

I entered into Google - Seoul + Olympics + weather + Melbourne

I found out that the Seoul Olympics were in September 1988, opening day 17 September 1988. As the table of Olympics gave only dates, I guessed 1988. So the first reference was only to the Olympics, and I am glad for a future trivia night I know the year of the Seoul Olympics and the opening date.

I then entered weather + Melbourne + 17 September 1988 and found no useful reference.

Then I thought I would go to the newspaper records in the Library and hunt up the Age for 17 September 1988 and look at the weather report.

Dragan helped me load the “Age” newspaper tape in the old technology into the new technology reader and I printed the weather page from the PC. *

As I did this, I thought how familiar Semantic Web seems in relation to what I know about Artificial Intelligence. This is more than what I gleaned from the movie A I. Our previous Vice-Chancellor was a brilliant researcher in this field and as I worked in chancellery I got to know some of the research he was working on.

I note in the Andrew Walmsley, reference , he mentions Artificial Intelligence.

I never, ever say that anything to do with the developments envisaged for the new web world is futuristic gobble. Not any more.

But I see the issues with Semantic web are to do with humans anticipating how to write data to connect. One day there will be a website devoted to the weather in the world at the time of the Olympics. There will be a website about writers who write in the spring and who focus only on children’s books. Every time a brilliant internet site is created, it will have taken a brilliant person to work out how to create connections – weather and Olympics, children’s authors and spring. The creators of these websites will know to make sure that the weather in USSR is divided up in the different states - Georgia, Kazakhstan, etc. as the person looking up the weather in Kazakhstan pre perestroika may not look up USSR and there may be no records for the season Enid Blyton wrote “The Magic Faraway Tree.


* It was Cloudy with showers developing during the day. Wind tending cooler southerly and freshening. Max:16

No comments: