Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Hit the wall

I may have reached that point - IGoogle does not interest me.

As a new learner, I have discovered marvellous and wondrous new knowledge through the 23 things program. Nothing sticks for me if it does not resonate as a need, fundamentally.
Now I am at the stage where I do not want to IGoogle anything, I can do what I need to do without another whizz bang program.

I was at a shop today with a colleague buying a farewell gift for another colleague, and my shopping friend looked longingly at a new gadget to poach eggs and another to core apples. I diverted him saying that the gadgets will sit in a cupboard forever - stick to the tried and true methods/gadgets you use already. That is how I feel about IGoogle. My cupboard is full.

For some reason I have not peeked ahead at the new (23) tricks to learn. I wonder if I shall feel a similar ennui about them. Maybe, out there, there will be a new gadget/google product which is going to get me in.

Meanwhile, I love librarything, Google alert and especially blogging and I admire my colleague bloggers. It is a long time since I have been so stimulated to think beyond my usual boundaries, which were at the absolute edge of knowledge retrieval, or so I thought.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sara

I wouldn't worry that you didn't enjoy the iGoogle task. It is actually one of Google's least-used services, so you are not alone in not seeing the point or continuing to use it. It's one of the few 23 Things I've never looked at (nor had any desire to).

On the subject of losing heart with the 23 Things program, everyone's starting to get tired and find it harder and harder to find time for playing, learning and blogging. I think you should be extremely proud that you are one of the library staff members who has gained the most from this exercise. It is wonderful that you have embraced these new technologies to the point where you're excited to discuss them with others, you've made friends through the web and you're thinking 'beyond your usual boundaries'.

Persist, please; we really enjoy reading your thought-provoking posts!

ME on the web said...

I am sorry to say that I also feel like Sara. I enjoyed logging in and reading but then other things take up more time and the effort and energy required to remember starts slipping to the back of the mind and one suddenly realises that what was of interest a while ago is now something one should do but doesn't do.

I am currently playing chess on the web with my son who is a member of an online chess group at http://www.letsplaychess.com. I am not a member but a guest. It is quite exciting coming in each morning and seeing what his latest move is but some mornings I forget and it doesn't matter as there can be up to 10 days between moves.

I prefer contact like that rather than having to write online my own thoughts. I am the sort of person who can reply to things but not start things. Using the web like you all have done helps one learn who one is, what one likes and what one doesn't. Personally I don't like exposing myself but I do enjoy reading what others write.