Monday, September 17, 2007

Changes, but nothing new...

When I let my former colleagues at the State Library of South Australia know I had created a blog they were incredulous at the 21st century me. But then, I did use microfiche for researching queries in the mid 1960s, so I am really just adapting and using new tools of communication.

I cook on a gas stove that is 75 years old. I still use a 35 year old washing machine. My friends have appliances that ring them up when the dinner is ready ( well sort of) and these very modern appliances with 25+ electronic features seem to break down regularly to be replaced every few years.

I can see that blogging is another form of communication. There are people who throw all the old ways out and blog brilliantly but fail to continue with the "older"ways, keeping only to the brand new: they are the ones in the dark ages.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sara, I completely agree with you. There is a time and a place for technology. It is great that we are able to use a blog, social networking, IM, SMS or email to communicate with partners/friends/colleagues, but there are many times when a face-to-face meeting would be more appropriate. The true challenge is being able to discern when this is the case.

Our fridge is about 20 years old and still going strong!

Rebecca

Kim said...

I am interested in the concept planned obsolescence. You are fortunate that your appliances still work. Mine don't seem to have a very long life at all.