Monday, December 3, 2007

To my family and friends I am a tech geek but I am a fraud

From a google alert - blog By M Farkas | November 9, 2007
“Pennvibes"---Abstact from a DLF conference

"Pennvibes is a framework for content delivery and organization inspired by Netvibes, iGoogle, and Pageflakes. It is being developed at the Penn Libraries using AJAX, XML and Java technologies with the goal of creating a web presence that is drastically more responsive and flexible to the needs of our patrons. We also hope that Pennvibes provides an extensible delivery platform for arbitrary digital library content. When we go live (end of 2007), Pennvibes will enable our Librarians to build new reference pages in a few minutes, complete with custom-tailored (and proxied) lists of resources built from PennTags, integrated search tools (e.g., a Pubmed widget), RSS feeds, editable Webnotes, rotating image widgets, and a “My Library Account” widget that integrates items checked out, fines, and document delivery requests for the patron."

Part of the responses to the blog:
"1. Michael Winkler Says:
November 13th, 2007 at 9:29 pm
Thanks for the interest and kind words. PennVibes really is an exercise in how to deliver tools and content as widgets, individually addressable and configurable. The framework we demonstrated exists as a platform for delivery to the Penn community.”
**********************************************************

I looked at the blog above today, provided by my RSS google alerts. I cannot make head nor tail about what this PennVibes is about. The question I asked myself is do I care?
Then I thought about the fact that all this is swirling about me in reference desks here and everywhere. Or is it? I ask myself. What if I wanted a stint at being a Reference librarian and the interviewer asked me details about friendster, rotating image widgets, Pubmed widget? Would I have had to learn about them? Do all the reference librarians out there know these tools intimately? Has the librarian moved into “tech geek” territory that much?
A short few years ago (4) I worked in the chancellery and called on the reference librarians for help in research. Their response and packages of documents were entirely recognizable to me as a former research librarian. Would I now get a “new reference page in a few minutes, complete with custom-tailored (and proxied) lists of resources built from PennTags, integrated search tools”?

Is web 2.0 revolutionary and therefore every librarian in the world is revolutionized through widgets?

No comments: