Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Who would have thought to call the anthropologist in to find out what students in libraries (really) want?

I came across this survey through a Google alert. I glanced at it to see if my colleagues who are deeply into this kind of information may be interested.

After a quick look, even I was interested in some of the points made about students, especially about those millennial ones, who are supposed to be a cohort, as opposed to being individuals.

The premise of the (yet another) survey of library users is that an anthropologist was called in to undertake some of the research. The chapter headings include: “Library design and ethnography”, “Then and now: how today’s students differ”, “The Mommy model of service”.

A particularly interesting chapter focuses on “student-centred “ – Google lists 13,000 results for Student- Centred- Universities. "…consequently to be truly student-centred, we must be cognizant of the high-level student trends, BUT truly fluent in the local campus situation." ( P83)

Here is a link to the survey document: http://www.alastore.ala.org/SiteSolution.taf?_sn=catalog2&_pn=product_detail&_op=2434


I have an electronic copy of the paper on file.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm very impressed that you came across this survey; it's really groundbreaking and it's certainly making waves on the library circuit. Once it would never have occurred to me that anthropology and library services have any sort of relationship, but now I wonder how I didn't see it before!
Our para-anthropological colleague has already read the report and is no doubt drawing conclusions about how we can use its findings to change the way we operate our library. Wonderful!
(I'll get around to it myself, eventually)